Skip to main content

Turquoise Dreams


Turquoise Dreams


Do you like turquoise?  I do.  It's a lovely color that reminds me summer, tropical waters and for some reason, exotic architecture.  I've had a tube of turquoise watercolor paint for a while now and haven't really used it.  It's a bit opaque but a nice rich color.  Let's use it in a painting and find out how it works...
There are many generous photographers who allow permission to use their images for artists without copyright infringements.  These are the unsung heroes for me and other artists.  While artists can freely use their work in our art, I do like to give credit where it's due.  With that said, I took my inspiration from a photograph by Kristin Wrisley from a Facebook group called Photos for Artists.  

The photograph just jumped out at me and I had to try my hand at creating a painting using it.  Architecture has always fascinated me. Happily, the photo actually had turquoise in it!  I liked the urban feel of the image, the wear and tear, the mystery of it.  

I wanted to keep the painting simple with few colors, so here's a list of supplies:

140lb. Moulin Du Roy cold press (16"x 20")
Canson Sketchbook
2B pencil 
Rubber eraser
Winsor & Newton Cobalt Turquoise Light
DaVinci Burnt Sienna
DaVinci Ultramarine Blue
No.8 Princeton Neptune Quill Brush
No.3 Creative Mark Quill Brush
No.10 Silver Black Velvet Round
No.6 Silver Black Velvet Round


Step 1
The first step was so see if I could draw it.  Using my trusty 2B graphite pencil, I sketched out an initial drawing.  It was a good image as it was, but I felt it needed a bit more life.  What better way to say urban life than by adding pigeons!  
Sketchbook drawing
Sketchbook Pigeon Practice


Sketching pigeons was the next move.  I needed to see if I could realistically add the birds to the painting vision in my head.


Step 2
With pigeon practice out of the way, it was time to lay out the drawing on watercolor paper, still using the 2B pencil.   
As you can see, I did change the initial drawing a bit.  I removed the pole and wire and made the center window my focus where the birds were going to sit.  I also added some pencil shading to a few places.  This will help in keeping those areas nice and dark after I apply my paint.  Yes, it is okay to shade in areas with pencil before painting (this technique works best when applying dark paint)!  
Watercolor Paper Drawing
Step 3
First, wet the paper everywhere except on the birds with the No.8 Princeton Quill .  The first layer of paint consisted of light washes of Burnt Sienna and turquoise with a little ultramarine thrown in for some of the shadowy places.  For this I used the No.3 creative mark quill brush.  The brush holds a good amount of water and paint for large areas.
Keep in mind where your light source is coming from.  In this painting it was up left.  I wanted to convey a very bright day so I kept the areas around the window light.  This was accomplished by the initial layer, so not too much fussing required.
I did not use a masking fluid as the areas of white were large enough to work around safely.
First layer of watercolor paint
Step 4
After the first layer completely dried, I added just a few touches of extra color and details to the outer window area with a no.6 Silver brush (using a mix of ultramarine and burnt sienna). 
Next, I darkened the window area of shadow.  I'm still using my No. 3 quill here.  I want to keep the background loose and let the colors mingle.  For the more darkened areas, a bit more ultramarine with my turquoise and burnt sienna was good.
After that was dry enough, I switched to my no. 10 silver round brush and started on my pigeons with an initial wash of colors.  For the darkest feathers I used a concentrated ultramarine blue and burnt sienna mix.
Second layer and initial wash for pigeons
Step 5
The last steps were in darkening areas where needed with color and adding more details.  The details in the birds and cracks in the plaster were all done using the No.6 Silver brush. 
Final details

Final thoughts
This painting was great fun to do.  The window was really fun and the pigeons gave it the perfect effect.  The colors where lovely and I may try to use turquoise in another painting in the future. It was also larger than I normally work so it turned out to be a great experience.
I had it matted and a nice frame for it done professionally.  This painting went in a gallery show I had in August.

If you'd like to see the finished painting, click on the FineArtAmerica link below!

Thank you and we'll see you again! 

Facebook - R.L. Davis Fine Art & Photography
Instagram - RLDavisFinArt
Twitter - Rebecca L. Davis
Pinterest - RLDavisArt
FineArtAmerica website Rebecca Davis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Updates

January 2024 Update I have been quiet on social media lately.  There is a reason.  These cooler months are a good downtime.  I can get other stuff done, like resupplying and focusing on family.   It's not all sunshine and roses, however.  There were art exhibits and my framed pieces are on low supply as they are pretty much everywhere!   In January, there was a Wood and Fiber Art Exhibit at Arts of the Albemarle where several of my tree paintings were featured.   Also in January, I taught a workshop on Line & Wash at Arts of the Albemarle.  Line and wash is so much fun and everyone was delightful! Time for Wine - RLDavis 2023 I am currently taking a pottery class as well.  It's a nice diversion from painting.  And a chance to get to know another way to artistically express myself. Ceramic Bowl Four paintings went to the Nasamond Suffolk Academy's Annual Juried Fundraiser where two paintings were sold. Our Albemarle Regional Paint Out Pals group continues to sketch throu

Urban Sketching

This year I ventured into teaching an Urban Sketching class.  It's more of a basic skill building class than anything.  We're firming up our observational and drawing skills while adding those touches of personality with color.  It's an amazing insight into how we perceive our surroundings and how they appear on our paper.  It's also a great segue into en Plein Air painting.  I'm grateful for this opportunity.  I get to paint with some amazing people, explore our local area with locations I've never been or have overlooked.  I get to see the area in a different light every time.  I'm fascinated by the nooks and crannies that can be found all over the place.  There's so much to be inspired by even if they are mundane and everyday subjects. I chose just four watercolor paints, Gamboge, Ultra Blue and Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet for my main mixing and a Cobalt Turquoise for pop.  The three main colors create an array of warm grays, browns, oranges and greens

Monday Musings

 Monday Musings and a New Year ahead... Hello everyone.  I hope your Holiday was joyous and filled with family and friends.  May you all have a wonderful 2023. 💖  I'll start out musing about some new colors Santa brought me.  I got the autumn color set with the small palette and Zan's Sun-kissed trio set all by the Da Vinci Paint Co. In total about nine different colors.  There were a couple I already had but there were at least five I'll be trying in the future.   I'm especially excited about the Gold Ochre (PY42, PY83) and the Alizarin Gold (PR177, PY42).  I think both of those will work extremely well with the Prussian Blue.   I'll be doing tests of those colors soon. It's always fun getting new colors.  The possibilities is what keeps creativity going.  On a colder musing: We had some pretty chilly days leading up to the Holidays.  The wind blasted across Eastern NC with a vengeance.  We had freezing temps for several days.  Though, it seems mild considerin