Skip to main content

Monday Musings

 Monday Musings and a New Year ahead...


Hello everyone.  I hope your Holiday was joyous and filled with family and friends.  May you all have a wonderful 2023. 💖 


I'll start out musing about some new colors Santa brought me.  I got the autumn color set with the small palette and Zan's Sun-kissed trio set all by the Da Vinci Paint Co. In total about nine different colors.  There were a couple I already had but there were at least five I'll be trying in the future.  
I'm especially excited about the Gold Ochre (PY42, PY83) and the Alizarin Gold (PR177, PY42).  I think both of those will work extremely well with the Prussian Blue.  
I'll be doing tests of those colors soon.
It's always fun getting new colors.  The possibilities is what keeps creativity going. 

On a colder musing:
We had some pretty chilly days leading up to the Holidays.  The wind blasted across Eastern NC with a vengeance.  We had freezing temps for several days.  Though, it seems mild considering up in New York where they got lambasted with snow and the freezing temps.  
   
All that said, Winter is still my favorite time of year.  When the earth falls to sleep under a blanket of white snow.  Even though I live on the Eastern side of North Carolina where our winters are mild and snow rarely falls, I still dream of that somber landscape.  

The warm autumn colors mingle with cool shades of winter.  The sky is a cool blue against the gray/brown leafless trees and lingering ochre grass.  It's a time of year that really comes alive.  The silence and stillness that winter brings makes observing the world around me even more exciting. 

Winter is a good time to practice tree branches.  You can see how the branches grow, curve and spread without the foliage getting in the way.  Below is a pencil sketch of a holly tree trunk.  If you can brave the chilly weather, observation is wonderful this time of year.  This sketch took approx. 30 minutes or so drawing.  However, I spent a good amount of time just studying the smooth-ish surface - the divots and scratches and how the knots protruded from the trunk.   

Holly Tree Trunk Sketch - RLDavis 2022

The old year is behind and a new one ahead.  2022 was a good year.  Yes, things got more expensive (art supplies certainly did!) but I still created artwork and I still have a place to do it at.  A loving and supportive partner to help and keep my feet on the ground... 😏  I couldn't be happier or more grateful to those who support my work. 
2023 is a time of new beginnings and hope.  My hope is for another creative year of paintings, teaching and good friends along the way. 
Be safe, healthy and happy in 2023. 


RLDavis Fine Art - Facebook - Instagram - Website























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 Updates

January 2024 Update I have been quiet on social media lately.  There is a reason.  These cooler months are a good downtime.  I can get other stuff done, like resupplying and focusing on family.   It's not all sunshine and roses, however.  There were art exhibits and my framed pieces are on low supply as they are pretty much everywhere!   In January, there was a Wood and Fiber Art Exhibit at Arts of the Albemarle where several of my tree paintings were featured.   Also in January, I taught a workshop on Line & Wash at Arts of the Albemarle.  Line and wash is so much fun and everyone was delightful! Time for Wine - RLDavis 2023 I am currently taking a pottery class as well.  It's a nice diversion from painting.  And a chance to get to know another way to artistically express myself. Ceramic Bowl Four paintings went to the Nasamond Suffolk Academy's Annual Juried Fundraiser where two paintings were sold. Our Albemarle Regional Paint Out Pals group continues to sketch throu

Urban Sketching

This year I ventured into teaching an Urban Sketching class.  It's more of a basic skill building class than anything.  We're firming up our observational and drawing skills while adding those touches of personality with color.  It's an amazing insight into how we perceive our surroundings and how they appear on our paper.  It's also a great segue into en Plein Air painting.  I'm grateful for this opportunity.  I get to paint with some amazing people, explore our local area with locations I've never been or have overlooked.  I get to see the area in a different light every time.  I'm fascinated by the nooks and crannies that can be found all over the place.  There's so much to be inspired by even if they are mundane and everyday subjects. I chose just four watercolor paints, Gamboge, Ultra Blue and Quinacridone Burnt Scarlet for my main mixing and a Cobalt Turquoise for pop.  The three main colors create an array of warm grays, browns, oranges and greens